Make sure to check out the video below!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 -20 minutes
- 4 slices of bread of your choice
- 4 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 red onion sliced into half moons
- 2 portobello mushrooms sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar grated
- 1/4 cup mozzarella grated
- 1/2 tomato sliced
- 1/2 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tbs. BBQ sauce
- In a large skillet on low heat add in some 1 tbs. olive oil. Add in the onions with some salt and pepper, and cook covered for about 10 minutes or until soft and slightly golden, making sure to stir occasionally every few minutes.
- Add in the brown sugar and stir well. Cook covered for an additional few minutes.
- Remove the cooked onions from the pan using a slotted spoon and add in additional 1 tbs. olive oil. Add in your mushrooms, some additional salt, dried oregano, and a pinch of pepper. Cook covered for 5-8 minutes or until fully cooked through making sure to toss every few minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for an additional minute, Remove mushrooms and garlic from skillet and onto a plate.
- To assemble the grilled cheese you will take some olive oil and brush the outside of the bread pieces. Taking some BBQ sauce brush the inside of your bread. Add in both types of cheeses, tomato slices, onions, and mushrooms. Cover with a slice of bread.
- Using the same skillet over medium-low heat place the sandwich down cooking for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden and crispy on each side.
- Cut in half and ENJOY!!!!