Make sure to check out the video below!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30-35 minutes
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 3 Granny Smith apples chopped into cubes
- 3 tbs. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- Zest of 1/2 orange plus 1 tbs. of orange juice
- 2 tbs. unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- 1 egg with 1 tbs. cold water (to make egg wash)
- In a skillet with high sides over medium low heat add in the butter and let it melt.
- Add in the apples, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix well and cook until apples are cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add in the orange juice and zest and cook for an additional minute or two. Set aside and let cool completely before assembling the turnover.
- Once the mixture is completely cooled off pre heat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with some aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Flour a clean work surface and place 1 sheet of puff pastry down. Roll out the sheet to get rid of the creases in the sheet. Cut the sheet into 4 pieces. Do the same this with the second piece of puff pastry.
- Take one square at a time and fill it with 1 tbs. of apple mixture. Fold the sheet diagonally and pinch the sides to close ( I use the back of a fork to make a design on the edges and to double check the sides are fully sealed).
- Place the pastries on your baking sheet and using your egg wash brush top and sides of the turnover. Sprinkle with some sugar and bake about 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool completely and ENJOY!