Make sure to check out the video below!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Rest time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbs. honey
- Vegetable oil
- 1 cup shredded asiago cheese
- In a measuring cup add in your warm water. To that add in 2 tbs. of honey and yeast, and set aside for 5 minutes or so, or until the yeast becomes fluffy and starts to activate.
- To the flour add in the salt and mix well. Add in the water mixture to the flour.
- Using a standing mixer with a kneading attachment knead the dough for 8-10 minutes or until the dough is no longer sticky (you can also knead the dough by hand which I often do).
- Oil a large bowl and and place the kneaded dough into the bowl. Turn the dough around a few times to coat all sides of the dough with the oil. Cover the dough with a clean kitchen towel and set aside in a warm area for 1 hour. The mixture with grow a bit but may not necessarily double in size so do not panic! You are doing great!
- After an hour deflate the dough and flour a clean work surface. Remove the dough from the bowl and split up into 8 equal pieces. Make each piece into a ball making sure to work the dough well in your hands to remove any air bubbles that may be trapped in the dough. Flatten slightly with your hands and using your finger make a whole in the middle of the dough (watch the video for a better visual), and start to shape your bagel.
- Place the formed bagel on a greased baking sheet and continue forming the rest of your bagels. When you are done cover the bagels again and place them in a warm place for 10 more minutes.
- In the meantime pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees and bring a large sauce pan full of water up to a boil. Add in a the remaining 1 tbs. of honey and reduce the heat down to a simmer. Taking two bagels at a time place the bagels in the water for 1 minute on each side.
- Remove the bagels from the water bath and brush the top of your bagels with some vegetable oil and sprinkle with some asiago cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until nice and golden brown on top. Let cool completely and enjoy!