Make sure to watch the video below!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25-30 minutes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 tbs. baking powder
- 5 eggs separated
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 1/3 cup whole milk and additional 1/4 cup
- 2 tbs. heavy cream
- 1 tbs. vanilla
- 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 14 oz. can condensed milk
- 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Zest of half an orange (optional)
- Strawberries (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9 by 13″ pan with cooking spray.
- In a small mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl beat egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside.
- In a separate medium sized mixing bowl using the same beaters mix the egg yolks and sugar until pale in color.
- Add in 1/3 cup of milk, 2 tbs. of heavy cream, and vanilla. Mix well to combine.
- Combine dry ingredients into egg yolk mixture being careful not to over mix.
- Fold in egg whites and pour mixture into your prepared pan. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the remaining 1/4 cup of whole milk, evaporated milk, and sweetened condensed milk.
- Using a fork or pointed knife poke holes throughout the entire cake. Pour milk mixture over cake and refrigerate for a minimum of 4-5 hours (I usually leave it in the fridge overnight).
- To make the whipped cream topping combine the 1 1/2 cup whipping cream, orange zest, and powdered sugar. Whip until stiff. Spread mixture over cake. Top slices each piece with a fresh strawberry and serve.