Make sure to check out the video below!
Moving to America at 8 years old was one of the best but most challenging things I have ever done. Leaving behind my friends, family, and all that I ever knew was extremely difficult, but so rewarding at the same time. In a way, moving away was what really formed my relationship with food. I learned quickly how food had a way of making things better. If I missed my grandma or my cousins and friends, having my mom make me something that reminded me of them would slowly start to make things better. I learned that food was more than just fuel for your body is was a way to bring back a memory or a feeling. It was a way to feel closer to those who I could not sit beside each day. This recipe in particular would do just that. My grandma would make this for us every summer, all summer long. Living in a small village in Poland, especially in the early 90’s we really didn’t have many options for going out and getting ice cream, so instead my grandma would bring the ice cream to us. She would make sheet pans full of blueberry ice cream, and almost each night after dinner we would sit outside with a scoop of ice cream, reminisce about our day, and make a plan for the next day to come. And I know what you’re thinking, blueberry ice cream?!? But trust me, made from fresh blueberries this will quickly become your new favorite.
Originally known as “iced cream” or “cream ice” it is still unknown how far back ice cream has gone. Some claim as early as 550 BCE in Persia, while others claim Rome when Emperor Nero first collected ice from the Apennine Mountains, and used honey and wine to create the very first sorbet. Regardless of the timeline, this delicious treat has been around for centuries. With so many different variations and different ways of making this refreshing treat we can see why this dessert is still as popular as ever. And don’t you worry, you don’t need any fancy machine to pull this recipe together. Use either a hand held mixer or a whisk and some elbow grease and you will make a dessert that will surely please everyone.
So here is to warm summer nights with those we love, and to the food that brings us all together. Let’s go ahead and make some ice cream!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Rest time: Overnight
- 1 pint blueberries
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 2 tbs. water
- 1 pint heavy cream
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- In a sauce pan add in the blueberries, lemon juice and zest, water, and sugar.
- Cook on medium/ low heat until all the berries pop and the mixture becomes smooth and jam like, about 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- In a large mixing bowl add in the heavy cream and using an electric mixer whip till soft peaks appear.
- At this point start to add in the sweetened condensed milk about 1/4 cup at a time. Continue to whip until the mixture is smooth and everything is combined.
- Start to gradually add in the blueberry mixture and whip just enough to incorporate.
- Freeze overnight and ENJOY!