Make sure to check out the video below!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes
- 1 package hot dogs
- Hot dog buns
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 2-3 tbs. olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1 tbs. worsheshire sauce
- 1 tbs. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese to taste
- Additional toppings of your choice
- In a medium sized sauce pan add in the olive oil and keeping the heat on medium high heat add in the ground beef. Cook breaking up the ground beef until the beef is about 90% of the way cooked through.
- Add in 3/4 of the diced onion (reserving the remaining 1/4 for garnish) and cook until the onion cooks down. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Add in the garlic, sugar, cumin, chili powder, worsheshire sauce, tomato sauce, and water. Stir well and let the mixture simmer partially covered, until it reaches your desired consistency. I prefer a thicker chili so mine usually cooks for about 20-25 minutes.
- In the meantime grill your hot dogs or cook them in boiling water according to package instructions.
- To assemble the chili cheese dogs place one hot dog in each bun. Top with chili, cheese, and raw onions, as well as any additional ingredients you like.
- Plate and ENJOY!