Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 8 cups lightly salted popcorn
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tbs. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 200 degress.
- Line 2 baking sheets (or 1 large one) lined with either parchment paper or alluminum foil (for easy cleanup). Pour 4 cups of popcorn on each baking sheet, trying to keep the popcorn in a single layer.
- In a medium sized sauce pan add in the butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, vanilla extract, cream of tartar, and salt.
- Keeping the heat on medium/ high cook the mixture until everything dissolves. Once the mixture comes to a boil cook for about 2-3 minutes stirring constantly. If you cook for too long the mixture will start to thicken (this happened to me), which is totally fine it’s just harder to spread.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and add in baking soda. Stir until fully dissolved and pour the mixture over the popcorn. Being extra careful try to coat the popcorn. I like to semi coat them so you can see the white in the kernel as well as some caramel on each.
- Bake for 1 hour stirring every 20 minutes or so. This will help the caramel stick to the popcorn as well as help distribute your mixture.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before enjoying. This will last up to 1.5 weeks if kept in a sealed container or ziplock bag.