These donuts are not your typical donut. They remind me of old-fashioned donuts, but BETTER! Not overly sweet and just the right amount of crunchy. I promise you will also love these.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
- 16 oz. of farmers cheese
- 4 1/2 cups of flour
- 3 eggs yolks
- 1 whole egg
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tbs. powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbs. vinegar
- vegetable oil for frying (the amount will vary according to the size of your pot or pan, I would say you’d need about 1 inch of oil in the pot)
Side note: I use my standing mixer to combine and kneed the dough. If you do not have one just use a clean, flat work surface and kneed the dough by hand. Follow the same directions as below just doing the work with your hands.
- In your standing mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment add in your flour, baking soda, powdered sugar, and salt. Give it a nice mix to combine.
- Add in the eggs, sour cream, and vinegar. Turn the mixer on to low and combine for a about a minute or two.
- Shut the mixer of and add in your farmers cheese, breaking it up a bit to make the mixture more workable. Mix for about a minute or until the mixture has merged together nicely.
- Taking about 1/4 of dough at a time form a round pancake about 1/3 inch thick. Puncture a hole in the middle of the pancake to make it a donut and set aside (watch the video for a better visual).
- Once all your donuts are formed add the vegetable oil into your skillet with high sides or a pot with high sides and on medium low heat allow the oil to heat up.
- Test the oil with a small amount of dough to see if the temperate is hot enough to start frying our donuts (again watch the video for a better visual).
- Placing a few donuts in the pan at a time (about 4 or 5) fry for about 2-3 minutes with the cover on. Once golden brown, remove the cover and flip the donuts to fry for an additional 2 minutes or until golden brown on the bottom, uncovered this time. Remove from pan onto a paper towel lined plate. Let cook for a few minutes, sprinkle with some additional confectioners sugar, and ENJOY!