Make sure to check out the video below!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 12-14 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbs. sugar
- 1 tbs. baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup cold butter (cut into 3 or 4 pieces)
- 3/4 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- zest of 1 lemon
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl add in the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Mix well. Add in the cold butter and using a pastry cutter or the back of a fork, start mixing the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- To this add in the egg, whipping cream, and lemon zest. Using either a fork or a whisk start to combine the mixture until the egg and heavy cream have moistened the flour mixture (watch video for better visual as well as how to make it in a standing mixer).
- Onto a clean work surface, that has been dusted with flour, dump out the mixture and knead the dough for a minute or so, or until the dough has come together nicely.
- Start to fold in the blueberries being as careful as possible not to pop them (I pop plenty so don’t worry if this happens to you. At the end of the day it is all going in your belly).
- Pat the dough out into a circle that is about 1/2 inch thick (if you feel like your scones are too large then feel free to separate your dough into two circles and making your scones smaller). Taking a knife cut the mixture into 6-8 scones deepening on how large your circle is.
- Place on your baking sheet (do not flour or oil the baking sheet) and bake 12-14 minutes or until the scones are fully cooked through.
- Remove, let cool, and enjoy!