Make sure to check out the video below!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time : 2?hours 20 minutes
Rest time: 12-24 hours
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cartons heavy whipping cream
- Remove the label from the sweetened condensed milk can. Using a pot that is taller than the pan when it’s flat place the pan round side down in the pot.
- Place the can in the pot and cover with cold water about an inch over the can.
- Bring the water up to a boil and then turn it down to a simmer. Simmer the water with the can for 2 hours 20 minutes. You may need to add in water as it boils as it will evaporate. Just make sure that you add in boiling water or it will drop the temperature and you risk the milk not turning into caramel.
- After 2 hours 20 minutes shut the heat off and remove pot from burner. Leave the can in the water until it cools completely (this can take anywhere from 2-4 hours, I typically leave mine overnight) and then remove. DO NOT open the can while it’s still hot!
Ice Cream Process:
- Place a large mixing bowl (I prefer metal) into the freezer for 10-15 minutes to get extra cold. This step is optional but I find that this helps the mixture come together quicker.
- Remove bowl from freezer and add in the heavy whipping cream. Using a hand held electric whisk or your sanding mixer start to whip the cream.
- Once the mixture starts to slightly thicken start adding in the toffee mixture one spoonful at a time. Making sure to mix in well before adding in the next.
- Mix until all the toffee is gone and the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Transfer to a freezer safe container and leave in the freezer overnight to set!
- Scoop out and ENJOY!