Make sure to check out the video below!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
- 1 medium sized zucchini roughly chopped
- 1 onion chopped into half moons
- 1 lb. ziti
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup pasta water
- 3 tbs. olive oil
- 3-4 basil leaves diced
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 tbs. Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to boxed instructions. Reserve 1/2 cup cooked pasta water and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a skillet with high sides add in the olive oil. Keeping the heat on medium add in the onions and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring often, until they become translucent and cook down.
- Add in diced zucchini. Season with salt and pepper. Cook 3-4 minutes.
- Add in tomato sauce (reserving 1/3 cup), pasta, pasta water, basil, Italian seasoning, and additional pinch of salt and pepper. Add in the cooked pasta.
- Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes.
- In a casserole dish take the remaining 1/3 cup of tomato sauce and spread it all over.
- Start out with a layer of the pasta/ zucchini mixture, top with 1/2 of the mozzarella and parmesan.
- Continue layering until you are finished making sure to finish off with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Bake 20-30 minutes until cheese is fully melted and golden brown. If you find that the cheese is getting too dark cover with aluminum foil.
- Let rest 5-10 minutes and ENJOY!