Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60-65 minutes
- Pie dough (2)
- 5 cups cherries (pitted and chopped)
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup sugar (if cherries are sour feel free to add more)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbs. corn starch
- 1 tbs. vanilla extract/ paste
- 1 egg
- 2 tbs. water
- Non-stick cooking spray or unsalted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and spray your pie plate with some non-stick cooking oil or unsalted butter. Set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan add in your chopped cherries, lemon juice, and sugar. Keeping the heat on medium/ high cook the cherries until they soften about 6-8 minutes, making sure to stir every few minutes.
- Add in the salt, vanilla, and corn starch. Cook until the mixture starts to thicken, about 4-5 minutes. Stir frequently.
- In a small dish combine the egg and water and set aside.
- Place one pie dough at the bottom of your pie plate. Pour in the cherry mixture and top off with your top pie dough. (You can decorate your pie however you like. My pie decorating skills are not very good so my pie is very simple haha).
- Taking a pastry brush or your finger gently brush the egg and water mixture over the top of the pie dough.
- Taking some aluminum foil, wrap the edges of the pie crust so that the edges do not burn (watch video for a better visual).
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until dough is fully cooked.
- Let cool and ENJOY!