Happy summer everyone. I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe which I call my summer tiramisu. I had so much fun making this recipe because I had a special little helper, my nephew. You may see some very little hands helping me and things may be taking a little longer but he was so happy to cook with me I couldn’t bare to tell him to stop.
I also wanted to let you know that for this recipe I use raw egg yolks. If this is concerning for you please cook them over a double boiler while whisking them with the powdered sugar.
- 4-6 packages of lady fingers
- Cocoa for dusting
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2 large egg yolks/ 3 small yolks
Strawberry Filling Materials:
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 strawberry jello
- 1/2 cup coffee liquor or amaretto
- 1 cup strong coffee cooled
- In a medium sized sauce pan add in the strawberries, sugar, and water. Place the pan over medium heat and cook the mixture until the strawberries soften and release their liquid.
- Remove from the open flame and then add in the strawberry jello. Mix well to combine and set aside for the mixture to set slightly and cool completely. You still want the mixture to be spreadable but not runny.
- In a mixing bowl add in the heavy cream and whip until stiff peaks appear.
- In a separate bowl add in the egg yolks and powdered sugar. Whip until the yolks turn a pale yellow.
- Gradually start to add in the mascarpone cheese.
- Once mixed well fold in the whipped cream making sure it is nicely combined with the egg yolks, but be careful not to deflate the mixture.
- In a deep dish add in the cooled coffee and coffee liquor.
- Dip one lady finger in the mixture at a time and place them into the bottom of a springform pan. Continue to do this until the bottom is covered with lady fingers.
- Top the lady fingers with the 1/2 the strawberry mixture followed by the 1/2 of the cream mixture.
- Continue to do another layer of lady fingers.
- Top again with with the remaining strawberry mixture and then the remaining cream mixture. Dust the top with cocoa powder.
- Place in the fridge for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Garnish with some fresh strawberries (optional) and ENJOY!