Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 40-50 minutes
- 3 cups of flour(sifted), take 2 tbsp. of flour out and set aside
- 2 tsp baking powder (sifted)
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 6 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 24 oz jar sour pitted cherries drained
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup club soda
- 2/3 tbsp. powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a cake pan (about 13″ x 9″). Coat with a tin layer of non stick spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl add in the eggs and sugar. Using an electric hand held mixer whip until the eggs are pale in color and fluffy. be patient because this may take a few minutes.
- Gradully start to add in the flour and baking powder. I do this in three different rounds. After each round mix with your mixer just until the flour is inorporated and then continue to add more. The dough will be thick but do not panic.
- Add in the oil and club soda. Mix well to incorporate everything. At this point your dough should be smooth and fluffy.
- Taking another medium sized mixing bowl pour half of the mixture into the empty bowl. Set one aside.
- One bowl will be your white layer and the second bowl will be your chocolate layer.
- Into the white layer add in the 2 tbsp. of flour that you set aside. Using the hand held mix to incorporate and set aside.
- Into the bowl that will be your chocolate layer add in the cocoa powder. Mix well.
- Take your pan and start to place large spoon fulls of the dough alternating white and chocolate until the bottom is fully coated.
- Continue to do the same on the second layer. On every white layer place a chocolate and every chocolate place the white.
- Top with the sour cherries and bake for 40-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool completely and then top with some powdered sugar.
- Cut and ENJOY!