Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 18-20 minutes
- 1 ¼ ounces fresh yeast at room temperature or 2 1/4 tbsp. instant yeast
- 3 cups flour sifted
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2- 1 3/4 cup warm milk (this will vary depending on the texture of your flour)
- 2 whole eggs at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks at room temperature (save 1 egg white for the egg wash)
- ¼ cup sugar
Cheese Mixture Materials:
- ½ lb. farmer cheese at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks at room temperature
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter melted
- In a bowl or measuring cup add in the warm milk and crumble in some fresh yeast. Add in about 2 tbsp. of sugar and 2 tbsp. of flour. Mix well to combine. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and set aside in a warm place to bloom (about 5-10 minutes)
- In a small mixing bowl add in the eggs and egg yolks as well as the remaining sugar. Mix well and set aside.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer add in your flour and salt.
- Add in the eggs and sugar mixture as well as the bloomed yeast.
- Using a dough attachment start to knead the dough on low until everything is incorporated and then turn up to medium/ low and knead for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the melted butter and continue to knead for another 5-6 minutes until the dough has come together. The mixture may be a bit sticky but don’t panic.
- Transfer the mixture into a well oiled bowl and cover with a clean kitchen towel.
- Set aside for 35-45 minutes in a warm place or until the mixture has doubled in size.
- In the meantime we can make the cheese filling. In a medium sized mixing bowl add in all the cheese mixture materials. Using a fork or spoon mix well until everything is incorporated.
- Set aside until needed.
- Slightly flour a clean work surface. Remove the dough onto the floured surface and knead to pull the dough together.
- Once the dough is pulled together separate the dough into 3 equal pieces. Place two back into the bowl and leave one on the floured surface.
- Using a rolling pin roll the dough out into a large circle about 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut into 4 equal pieces like a pizza (watch video for visual) and then each quarter into 4.
- Place a dollop of the cheese mixture at the top (the thicker side of the dough). Roll the dough towards the thinner part of the dough.
- Place the rolled side down on a baking sheet prepped with some parchment paper.
- At this point preheat the oven to 365 degrees F.
- Take the leftover egg white and brush it over the croissants. Set them aside to rise until the oven preheats. Continue this with the remaining 2/3 of the dough.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown on top and bottom and fully cooked through.
- Set aside to cool completely and ENJOY!
If using Instant Yeast:
- In a bowl or measuring cup add in the warm milk, instant yeast and sugar. Mix slightly and set aside to activate the yeast.
- Continue with steps 2-20.