Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1 hr 20 minutes
- 1 lb. ground turkey or ground pork
- 1/2 head of small cabbage thinly sliced (I use a mandolin)
- 1 onion diced
- 5-6 tbs. olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced parsley
- 4 cups tomato sauce
- 2 tbs. tomato paste
- 1 egg
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 tbs. sugar
- 1 tbs. flour
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and bring a big pot of water to a boil.
- Add in the sliced cabbage and cook for 60-90 seconds, just enough to soften slightly. Drain and set aside.
- In a skillet with high sides add in 2-3 tbs of olive oil and diced onion. Cook on medium low heat until soft and translucent, making sure to stir often. Remove cooked onion into a clean mixing bowl.
- Into the same mixing bowl add in the ground turkey, cooked rice, cooked cabbage, chopped parsley, and egg. Add in salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Taking about 1/2 cup of the mixture and roll it into a chunky patty (watch the video for visual).
- Into the same skillet as the onions add in the remaining olive oil. Keeping the heat on medium heat up the oil and add in the patties into the skillet. Cook about 60 seconds on each side, just long enough to develop some color.
- Place the patties into a baking dish or pan.
- Using the same pan and keeping the heat on medium add in tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, flour, salt, and pepper. Cook for 15-20 on medium/ low heat stirring occasionally.
- Pour the sauce over the patties and cover with some aluminum foil. Bake 50-60 minutes.
- Let rest for 5-10 minutes and ENJOY!