Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 4 lbs. Russet potatoes
- 5 medium onions chopped
- 1 lb. bacon chopped
- 8 slices cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 390 degrees F.
- Leaving the skin on the potatoes wash them well and place them in a large pot. Cover the potatoes with water and salt generously. Cook the potatoes for about 15-20 minutes. Not long enough to cook the potatoes all the way through but for them to be slightly softened.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool.
- In a large skillet add in the bacon and cook 4-5 minutes or until the bacon has become crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan leaving the fat in there (if your bacon renders a lot of fat drain it leaving about 3-4 tbsp. of fat in the pan).
- Add in the chopped onions and cook until translucent and soft.
- Remove from heat and add the bacon back in. Mix well to combine and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the heavy cream, eggs, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Taking your cooled potatoes peel the skins and start to slice the potatoes in about 1/2 pieces.
- Start to place half of the potatoes into a greased casserole dish (about 9×13).
- Once you have a layer of potatoes place half of the bacon onion mixture over the top.
- Top with your cheddar cheese slices, half of the mozzarella and half of the parmesan.
- Top with the remaining potatoes and bacon and onion mixture.
- Taking your egg and heavy cream mixture pour that over the top of your bake.
- Top the remaining mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes covered. Remove the aluminum foil and bake the remainder of the time uncovered.
- Let sit for a few minutes to set and ENJOY!