Prep time: 20-30 minutes
Cook time: 5-8 minutes
Rest time: 12 hours
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 cups whole milk
- 6 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. potato starch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 3-4 sleeves of lady fingers
- 1 package of Nilla cookies
- 1 package blueberries
- 1 package strawberries sliced
- In a small mixing bowl add in the 2 egg yolks and 1/2 cup of milk. Using a hand held whisk mix well to combine.
- While continuing to whisk add in the potato starch. Once that is incorporated add in the all-purpose flour.
- Once the mixture is smooth add in the granulated sugar. Once the sugar is incorporated pour in an additional 1/2 cup of milk. Mix everything together and set aside.
- In a medium sized sauce pan add in 3 tbsp. of water. With the heat on medium high let the water come to a boil.
- Once the water is at a boil add in the remaining 3 cups of milk. Bring the milk to a simmer making sure to be careful not to let the milk come to a rolling boil.
- Once the milk starts to simmer pour in the milk/ egg yolk mixture whisking constantly. The mixture will start to thicken. Turn the heat down to low and add in the vanilla extract. Whish until the vanilla is incorporated and remove from heat.
- Cover the custard with plastic wrap making sure the plastic touches the top of the custard. Set aside to cool completely.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl add in the softened butter and powdered sugar. Using an electric hand held mixer mix until creamy, smooth and fluffy.
- Taking about 1 cup of the custard at a time add it into the butter mixture. Continue mixing and adding in the custard until the mixture is fully combined. The mixture should be smooth and creamy.
- Seperate the custard into two equal parts. Set aside one and the other add in the cocoa powder and mix well to combine.
- Line a rectangular (about 14 x 9.3 x 3 inch) pan (I used a springform pan but you do not need to) with parchment paper. Cover the bottom with a layer of lady fingers.
- Pour over the chocolate custard and spread evenly.
- Top with a layer of Nilla cookies.
- Finally pour the vanilla custard over the Nilla cookies. Spread the mixture into one even layer.
- Using the blueberries and strawberries start to form the American flag or just pour the berries and strawberries over the top evenly.
- Chill for a minimum of 12 hours, slice and ENJOY!