Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20-25 minutes
Rest time: 30-40 minutes
- 5 cups flour (additional 6 tbsp) sifted
- 1 cup warm milk
- 1.6 ounces fresh yeast at room temp
- 1/2 cup sugar (additional needed for blueberries)
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tbsp. unsalted butter melted and coo
- 1 egg at room temp
- 2 egg yolks (leave whites to brush tops with) at room temp
- 1 pint fresh blueberries at room temp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. potato starch
- In a small mixing bowl or measuring cup add in the fresh yeast and 2 tbsp. of sugar. Using a spoon mix until the mixture softens and becomes runny.
- Add in 2 tbsp of the warm milk and mix it in.
- Once incorporated pour the yeast mixture into the remaining warm milk.
- Into a bowl of a standing mixer add in the yeast and milk mixture along with 6 tbsp of flour and a pinch of salt. Mix roughly with a spoon and cover with a clean kitchen towel. Set aside 15-20 minutes to rise until frothy and bubbly.
- In the meantime add in one egg and two egg yolks into a medium sized mixing bowl along with remaining sugar. Using a hand held whisk mix until pale in color and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla extract and mix for a few seconds to combine.
- Once the yeast has activated add in the 5 cups of flour, whisked egg mixture and melted butter.
- Place the bowl into your mixer fitted with a hook attachment and mix the dough on low for 8-10 minutes scrapping the edges periodically.
- The dough will be soft and sticky so DO NOT panic.
- Cover the mixture with a clean kitchen towel and let rise until mixture is doubled in size (about 15-20 minutes).
- In a bowl add in the blueberries and potato starch. Cover the berries in the starch and set aside.
- Flour a clean flat surface with a generous amount of flour. Pour the dough onto the surface shaping it into a long log. To keep the dough from sticking to your hands generously cover your hands in flour (watch video for visual).
- Cut the log into 16 equal pieces making sure the dough stays on the floured surface.
- Taking one piece of dough at a time flatten into about 1/2 inch thick pieces. Once again if sticky add flour. Add in a few berries coated in the starch and a sprinkle of sugar.
- Fold over and pinch the sides. Take the dough into your hands form into a chunky rod.
- Place the roll on a large baking sheet cover with some parchment paper.
- Taking the egg whites and a pastry brush, brush the tops with the egg whites and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Once the oven preheats bake the rolls for 20-25 minutes or until fully cooked through.
- Let cool completely and ENJOY!