Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
- 3 ¾ cups flour sifted (additional needed for dusting surface)
- 2 sticks butter (at room temperature)
- ¾ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- Vanilla sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp. lemon extract (if you do not have extract add lemon juice)
Icing & Decorating Materials:
- 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp. hot water
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Holiday sprinkles
- Additional green and black icing
- On a clean work surface or in a bowl of a standing mixer add in the flour, sugar, vanilla sugar and baking powder.
- Using a dough hook or by hand mix the ingredients roughly. Add in the butter and start to mix.
- Add in the eggs and continue to mix until the dough comes together.
- Remove half of the dough and wrap it in saran wrap. Refrigerate 1-2 hours or overnight.
- With the remaining dough add in the lemon zest and lemon extract. Knead long enough to incorporate the zest and extract.
- Wrap the dough in saran wrap and refrigerate 1-2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 380 degrees F.
- Flour a clean work surface slightly and each dough out (one at a time) to about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes and place on a baking sheet lined with some parchment paper.
- Bake each batch for 15-20 minutes or until golden on the bottom and around the edges. Let cool completely.
- In a small mixing bowl add in the powdered sugar, water and lemon juice. Mix well.
- For the snowman cookies frost the top of the cookies. Top with a marshmallow at one of the ends. Top with desired sprinkles for the buttons.
- Draw eyes, a nose and a mouth on the marshmallow.
- Draw some hands with a black icing pen coming out of the marshmallow.
- To finish the cookie off draw a green scarf around the marshmallow and over one arm.
- Set aside to set.
- For the lemon cookies, frost the cookies and top with desired sprinkles. Set aside to set.
- Plate and ENJOY!