Prep time: 30 minutes
Bake time: 25-30 minutes
So I know that this is The Lazy Girls Kitchen and this recipe is a little time consuming but guys please trust me when I tell you that this recipe is so worth it. This recipe is so special to me because it takes me back to my childhood. As a young girl I can remember every Easter helping my mom make these cookies. The smell of these cookies brings me back to Poland and just reminds me of family. Anyways since we enjoy these every Easter I thought you’d like to give these a try. Happy Easter!!!!
- 6 cups of flour
- 2 cups of margarine (4 sticks)
- 5 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup of sour cream
- 6 apples sliced
- Powdered sugar to taste
- On a clean working surface put down your flour and margarine which I like to cut into small pieces to make it easier to work with.
- Make a small hole in the middle of the flour and margarine and put in your egg yolks and sour cream. Now its time to knead until everything is nicely combined. Do not panic if you feel like the dough isn’t coming together because it does take some time to get it combined. After the dough is combined wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. (This dough is perfect to make the night before and take out the next day when your ready to bake.)
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees and take out your dough for it to come to life a bit before you start to roll it out.
- Separate your dough into 6 pieces and individually start to roll each piece out flat (I’d say about 1/4 inch or so), flowering your work surface as needed when you feel like the dough is starting to stick to your work surface.
- Using a round cookie cutter (I just use a round glass), cut out round circles.
- Place 1 apple slice in each circle and fold in half.
- Continue to do this until you’ve filled up an entire cookie sheet (which I like to cover in either parchment paper or aluminum foil and coat very lightly with vegetable oil).
- Bake the cookies for 25-30 minutes or until they become golden on the top (I find that the bake time really varies with the thickness of the cookie along with ovens so make sure to keep on eye on your cookies, especially after the 20 minute mark.)
- Let them come to room temp. and then cover them with powdered sugar.
- Now sit back and ENJOY!!!