These little desserts are always the life of the party. These little cookies that look like miniature cakes will be worth every second it took to create them. This recipe is a bit longer than I originally like to spend in the kitchen (at least on one recipe) but they are so delicious I could not resist sharing these with you. I hope you enjoy these! What am I saying?!?! Of course you’ll enjoy them!
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 10-12 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 cup/ 2 sticks of margarine (at room temperature)
- 1 tablespoon of sour cream
- 3 egg yolks
- Either in a standing mixer or on a clean work surface put down your flour.
- Add in the margarine (I like to cut the margarine in little pieces so that it’s easier to work with).
- Add in the sour cream and egg yolks and start kneading the dough until it’s well combined (if you’re doing this by hand it should take about 4-5 minutes and 2-3 if you’re using a mixer).
- Work your dough into a disc shape wrap in plastic wrap and put into the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Take out dough 15 minutes before you are ready to roll out so that it can come to room temperature.
- 2 egg whites
- 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl put in your egg whites and powdered sugar and mix with your hand-held mixer until the mixture becomes white and glossy (about 5-6 minutes).
- On a lightly floured surface separate your dough into half and roll one half out. Take a round cookie cutter and cut out round shapes from the dough. Take each piece and cover with a layer of your glaze and place on a lightly oiled cookie sheet.
- Place in oven for 10-12 minutes or until your glaze turns a light brown and the cookie is golden brown around the edges (do not panic of the glaze lifts from the cookie, once your remove the cookie from the oven take a clean dish towel and lightly press the glaze onto the cookie and it will stick).
- Let cookies cool for about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime you can make the filling.
- 1 cup of butter/ 2 sticks (at room temperature)
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon of lemon extract
- In a mixing bowl combine all three ingredients and mix for 5-6 minutes until the mixture become smooth and nicely whipped.
- Now it’s time to assemble your cookie.
- coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- Take one cookie and put a small amount of filling in the cookie. Cover with another cookie.
- Around the edges put some more filling (this will act as the glue for the coconut to stick to your cookie).
- Roll the cookie in the unsweetened coconut. Continue to assemble cookies until you are all done. Now enjoy!!!!