Make sure to check out the video below!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Rest time: 5-6 hours
- 6 egg whites
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp. cream of tartar
- 2-3 drops of red food coloring (optional)
- 1/3 cup crushed peppermints
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and line a baking sheet with some parchment paper.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl whisk the egg whites until they start to get frothy, then add in the cream of tartar.
- Continue to whisk the egg whites and once you start to see stiff peaks start to add in the sugar gradually, and continue to mix until the eggs are glossy, fluffy, and stiff.
- Add in a majority of the crushed peppermints (leaving a few behind to garnish the top of the meringues) folding them in gently with a spatula.
- If desired add in a few drops of red food coloring and mix in gently with a spatula, to resemble a candy candy.
- Pipe the desired sized drops of meringue onto your baking sheet and top with some crushed pieces of peppermint.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes, then shut off the oven but leave the meringues in the oven for 5-6 hours (I usually leave mine overnight), making sure not to open the oven door!
- Plate, serve, and ENJOY!