Make sure to check out video below!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45-60 minutes (worth every second)
- 2 lbs. green beans ends removed
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded or cut into small pieces)
- 1 tbs. shredded parmesan
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 4 tbs. unsalted butter (additional 1 tbs. for topping)
- 6 slices of bacon chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 4 tbs. flour
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a generous pinch of salt (about 1 tbs. or so). Add in the green beans and cook 2-3 minutes. Remove green beans using a slotted spoon and put directly in a bowl filled with ice water. Let green beans cool off and drain them. Set aside to dry.
- In a medium sized skillet add in the bacon. Cook 4-5 minutes on medium heat until crispy, stirring occasionally. Remove onto a paper towel lined plate using a slotted spoon, leaving behind the grease rendered by the bacon.
- Add in the chopped onion and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional 60 seconds.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a skillet with high sides over medium high heat add in 4 tbs. of unsalted butter. Once that melts add in the flour and cook for about 60 seconds stirring constantly.
- Once you no longer see any flour add in the milk and heavy cream. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens. Watch video to see a visual of what you are looking for.
- Turn heat off and add in sharp cheddar cheese. Stir until fully melted.
- Add in onion and garlic mixture, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper (again to taste), and stir will.
- Add in cooled green beans and mix well.
- Pour the mixture in to a casserole dish (mine was 6″ by 3″). Top with bacon, parmesan cheese, panko crumbs, and the remaining butter.
- Cook 30-40 minutes or until top is golden brown and bubbly. Let sit for 5 minutes and ENJOY!