Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 7 cups stale bread cut into cubes
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 stalks celery chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 6 tbs unsalted butter separated into 3 tbs and 3 tbs
- 1 tbs Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease a casserole dish with some unsalted butter.
- In a medium sized skillet add in 3 tbs of unsalted butter. Keeping the heat on medium let the butter melt and add in the onions and celery. Salt and pepper to taste and cook 3-5 minutes or until onions are cooked through and translucent.
- Add in garlic and cook for about 60 seconds, or until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cubed bread along with the cooked onion, celery, and garlic. Mix well.
- Add in the chicken broth and mix well coating all the bread pieces. Start out using 3/4 of the chicken broth and add in more if you need to. You want to make sure the bread is coated but not drenched in the broth.
- Add in your eggs along with the Italian seasoning, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture into your greased casserole dish. Place pieces of the remaining butter over the top of the bread mixture and cover with some aluminum foil.
- Bake 45 minutes covered and then remove the aluminum foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes before enjoying.