Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 40-50 minutes
- 3 cups of rice
- 2 lbs ground meat of your choice (i used pork and chicken)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ⅓ cup tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt/ pepper to taste
- 1 onion chopped
- 3-4 cloves of garlic diced
- 3 stalks celery cut into half moons
- 2 small bell peppers chopped
- 2 carrots shredded
- ⅓ -½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2-3 tbsp. Vegetable oil
- Cook the rice according to package instructions and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl add in the tomato sauce, tomato puree, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large skillet with high sides add in the vegetable oil.
- Keeping the heat on medium/ high add in the onion and cook 4-5 minutes stirring often.
- Add in the garlic and cook for about 60 seconds.
- Add in the celery, carrots and peppers.
- Season with salt, pepper, paprika and oregano. Mix well to combine and cook for a few minutes to allow the veggies to soften.
- Add in the ground meat. Break the meat up and cook for 6-8 minutes stirring often until the meat is fully cooked through.
- Add in half of the tomato sauce mixture and mix well.
- Cook for a few minutes and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 380 degrees.
- Butter a casserole dish generously. Add in half of the rice into the casserole dish.
- Pour the meat mixture over the rice and even off.
- Top with the remaining rice and pour the remaining tomato sauce over the rice.
- Top with desired amount of cheese. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes.
- Let sit for a few minutes, plate and ENJOY!