The recipe listed will make about 25-28 golombki, depending on how large you cabbage leaves are. If you’d like to make a smaller batch just cut the recipe in half. Although I can’t imagine anyone not loving this recipe so much that they will devour all 28 golombki. Also this recipe call for a mixture I call dried veggies. I make the mixture myself and will share the combination with you down below. If you are familiar with Vegeta you can just use that instead.
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 large heads of cabbage
- 4 cups rice (before cooking)
- 6 carrots shredded
- 3 large onions chopped
- 3-4 tbl vegetable oil
- 3 tbs dried veggies (you can use Vegeta or see below to make your own)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup of water
* I make a large batch of this and keep it in a mason jar. For the dried veggie mixture all you need is 1/4 cup dried carrots, 1/4 cup dried corn, 1/4 cup dried peas, 2 tbs fried or dried garlic, 1 tbs dried parsley, 1 tbs turmeric, and 1/2 tbs of salt. I place everything in a blender and mix it until it resembles. Place in a sealed mason jar and ENJOY when needed to season soups, stews, or golombki’s.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Remove the inside core of the cabbage and set aside (watch video for visual).
- Cook 4 cups of white rice. I cook mine in a rice cooker but if you are cooking in a pot you will need 6 cups of water for the 4 cups of rice. Place in a large pot, bring the mixture to a boil and then turn down to low simmer. Cover and cook until the water has been absorbed by the rice and the rice becomes soft.
- In another large pot fill it 3/4 way up with water. Add in a tbs of salt and bring to a boil.
- Once the water comes up to a boil place one cabbage head into the pot. With a wooden spoon hold the cabbage down and with a fork or another wooden spoon start to peel the leave apart. Remove the leaves and place on a plate or pan until you need them. Do the same thing with the second head of cabbage.
- In a large skillet add in your onions and vegetable oil. Keeping the heat on medium high heat cook the onions stirring occasionally, until lightly golden.
- Add in the shredded carrots and cook for about 90 seconds. Add them into the cooked rice.
- Season with dried veggie mixture, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Taking the cabbage leave cut off the tough vein in the back bottom of the cabbage leaf (again watch video for visual).
- Taking one leaf at a time place the larger part of the leaf in your palm. Taking two large scoops of the rice mixture place it in the leaf. Roll the leaf covering the rice completely tucking the sides of the golombki inside to seal the sides.
- Place the golombki in a large casserole dish or two. Pour in 3/4 cups of water and cover the top with a few empty cabbage leaves.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for one hour and 30 minutes.
- Let rest for a few minutes and ENJOY!