Happy Monday everyone. Today’s recipe is a major favorite of ours. I tend to make a big batch of these so that we can enjoy them through out the week but I will share with you the standard one portion for 2 people. If you want to make more just multiply the recipe. So please enjoy the video but don’t look at the quantity of what I have because I made 10 pizzas this day.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
- 1 large chicken breast cut in half horizontally
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1/2 bell pepper of your choice chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 shredded mozzarella cheese
- Vegetable oil for frying (about 1/4 cup and 2 tbs)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the tomato sauce, basil, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Cover each piece of chicken breast with plastic wrap and using a meat mallet gently pound the cutlet to thin it out. You are looking for about 1/4 inch thickness. Salt and pepper both sides and set the cutlets aside in the fridge.
- In medium sized skillet add in a 2 tbs of vegetable oil. Keeping the heat on medium high add in the chopped onions and cook until they become translucent, making sure to stir often.
- Add in the chopped mushrooms and cook additional 3-4 minutes.
- Finally add in the bell pepper and season with a small pinch of salt. Cook until softened about 3 minutes or so and set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl we need to mix the batter for the chicken coating. Add in milk, 1 egg and a small pinch of salt. Mix to break up the egg. Add in the flour and mix well to combine. You are looking for about the consistency of pancake batter. If it seems too thick add in more milk, if too runny add in a bit more flour (I do 1 tbs at a time).
- In another medium sized skillet add in 1/4 cup of vegetable oil and keeping the heat on medium let the oil get hot.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge and dip each piece of chicken in the batter. Place directly in the pan. Fry 3-4 minutes on each side or until fully cooked through. Depending on the thickness of your chicken breast cooking time will vary.
- Place the chicken on a baking dish. Spread some tomato sauce over the top of the chicken cutlet (like you would a pizza).
- Top with sautéed veggies and finally the cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Remove from the oven and ENJOY!