Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 large or 4 small eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 cup drained maraschino cherries (pitted and stemmed)
- 1 cup unsalted butter melted
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup broken up milk chocolate
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Preheat your oven to 385 degrees F and grease a 12.7inch x 8.9inch baking pan with some unsalted butter. Set aside.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl combine the buttermilk, eggs, baking soda and cocoa powder. Mix well and set aside.
3. In another mixing bowl add in the flour, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and melted butter. Using a fork blend the mixture just enough for the melted butter to coat the flour but not long enough to smooth out the clumps of the batter (watch video for visual).
4. Pour in the chocolate mixture and again mix with a fork just long enough to combine but not to break up the clumps of the batter.
5. Finally mix in the maraschino cherries and pour the batter into your prepared pan.
6. Bake 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Set aside to cool.
7. In a small pan add in the heavy cream and get it nice and hot but not boiling. Pour the hot heavy cream over a bowl filled with broken up milk chocolate. Set aside for 5 minutes and then mix well to melt the chocolate.
8. Pour the chocolate over the cooked cake. Set aside for a few minutes and then ENJOY!