Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 35-40 minutes
- 1 lb potatoes (peeled and cut into quarters)
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 1 lb strawberries (separated into 1/2 lbs.)
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 3 tbsp. potato starch
- 1 egg
- Sugar depends on sweetness of strawberries
- 2 tbsp. water
- In a medium sized soup pot add in your peeled and quartered potatoes. Cover with enough water to completely cover the potatoes. Salt generously and cook until fully cooked through (about 20-25 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes).
- Drain and mash the potatoes and set aside to cool slightly.
- While the potatoes are cooling take 1/2 lb of the strawberries and cut them into small squares.
- Add the strawberries into a small sauce pan along with 1-2 tbsp. of sugar (depends on the sweetness of the strawberries) and the 2 tbsp. of water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook 4-5 minutes until the strawberries soften and the mixture starts to thicken slightly. Set aside until you are ready to use.
- Once the potatoes cooled enough for your to handle add in the all purpose flour, potato starch and egg. Mix well either using a potato masher or your hands. Once the mixture is incorporated and the potatoes have come together enough to form a patty without the potatoes falling apart.
- Take the remaining 1/2 lb of strawberries and remove the stem. If the strawberries are large cut them into halves or even quarters. Make sure the strawberries are completely dry before working with them.
- Taking about 1/3 -1/2 cup of potatoes at a time make a patty about 1/4 inch thick. Place a strawberry or half of a strawberry in the center. Sprinkle with a little bit of sugar (again adjust the sugar to how sweet you like it and how sweet the strawberries are).
- Cover the strawberry with the potato patty making a ball from the potato (watch video for visual). Continue to do this until you are all done.
- In a large pot add in enough water to fill the pot up. Salt generously and bring up to a boil.
- Cook a few of the kneldle at a time for about 3-5 minutes and plate.
- Cover with your strawberry sauce and ENJOY!