Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30-40 minutes
- 1 lb spinach/ cheese tortellini
- 2 cups spinach chopped
- 1 large carrot grated
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 3 garlic cloves diced
- 1 tbsp. parsley chopped
- 2 bay leaves torn into medium sized pieces
- 1 tbsp. dried basil
- 4 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 6-8 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot add in 6-8 cups of water (6 if you don’t want as much broth and 8 if you want more broth). Begin to bring the water to a boil.
- In a large skillet add in vegetable oil. Keeping the heat on medium/ high add in the onions. Cook until the onions become soft and translucent, stirring often.
- Add in the grated carrot and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes and then add the mixture into the boiling water.
- Add in the tomato sauce, stir well and continue to let the soup boil.
- In the same skillet as you cooked the onion/ carrot mixture, add in additional vegetable oil. Keeping the heat on medium add in the garlic and cook for about 60 seconds stirring constantly.
- Add in the spinach and cook until the spinach wilts down, about 60-90 seconds. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Add in your tortellini and cook according to the instructions on the bag.
- Once the tortellini is cooked add in the cooked spinach.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if needed, as well as the bay leaves and basil.
- Continue to cook for a few minutes and then remove from heat.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, plate and ENJOY!