Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 15-17 minutes
Rest time: 3-5 hours
Sponge Cake Materials:
- 8 eggs separated into whites and yolks
- 8 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. water
- 10 tbsp. all-purpose flour sifted
- 4 tbsp. potato starch sifted
- Non-stick cooking spray
Rhubarb Layer Materials:
- 2 lbs rhubarb cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 3oz packets red Jell-O (I used strawberry)
Heavy Cream Layer Materials:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 gelatin packets dissolved in 1 cup water
- 5 tbsp. sugar
Sponge Cake Process:
- Prep a rectangular cake pan or springform pan (14 x 9.3 x 3 inch) with aluminum foil and non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl add in the egg whites. Using a hand held mixer whip until the you reach stiff peaks and the egg whites begin to shimmer.
- Add in the sugar and continue to mix until the sugar is dissolved, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in 1 tbsp. of water and mix until it is incorporated.
- Add in the sifted flour and potato starch and mix using a spatula mix until the flour is incorporated. Try not to overmix as not to inflate the egg whites.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and bake 15-17 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once the cake cools remove it and place on a flat surface. Using a knife cut the dough across horizontally to make two sponge cakes.
- Set the top piece aside and place the bottom piece back into the pan (watch video for visual). Set aside to use in a few minutes.
Rhubarb Layer Process:
- In a skillet with high sides add in water, rhubarb and sugar. Bring the mixture up to a boil and then turn the heat down to simmer until the rhubarb has softened. This can take anywhere form 8-15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add in both packets of Jell-O. Mix well and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled add pour that over the bottom sponge cake layer in the cake pan and place in the fridge for about 1 hour to set.
Whipped Cream Layer Process:
- In a large mixing bowl add in 2 cups of cold heavy cream and sugar. Using a hand held mixer whip until you get stiff peaks.
- Add in the gelatin which you’ve dissolved in a cup of water and mix until it is incorporated in the cream.
- Pour over the rhubarb layer, even out and top with the top half of the sponge cake.
- Place back in the fridge for a few hours to set, cut into individual sized pieces and ENJOY!